HATS devises specific and generic human automation teaming solutions/ technologies along two major lines:
- Advanced ground control station for drones that incorporates the latest human-automation teaming technology. Today’s ground stations are primarily designed to allow a pilot on the ground to fly a single drone much as a pilot in an aircraft would control that aircraft. The near future holds the promise of many more unmanned aircraft–think of the fleets of delivery vehicles envisioned by Google and Amazon–far too many to have a pilot for each one. In this environment the human will be more of a supervisor than a pilot. This is a powerful metaphor for the human/machine relationship: people oversee and collaborate with the automation on higher-level decisions about where the drones go and how to manage risk in these operations. In such a collaboration, frictionless teaming between human and machine will be critical. HATS develops the technologies that underlie this teaming.
- R&D services, primarily to U.S. government agencies. For example, NASA has funded HATS to develop two technologies, 1) a simulation platform for investigating the control of multiple drones, and 2) automation, interfaces and concepts to allow a single pilot to do the job previously requiring two pilots on large transport aircraft.
This accelerating technological landscape provides huge opportunities for HATS. In particular, there are significant research efforts within the Department of Defense, NASA, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), all of which are grappling with how to team humans with increasingly autonomous systems such as robots, vehicles, and intelligent agents. The experience of our team in this R&D environment is deep and long, representing many decades of research and development in academia, government, and business. HATS is busy working on how to apply technologies, such as automated voice input and output, operator state sensing, machine learning, and dynamic human-automation functional allocation schemes, to the challenge of teaming with these increasingly autonomous systems. In addition to governmental research, private commercial enterprises, are moving aggressively to implement greater degrees of autonomy within their businesses.
Our Expertise in Aviation Systems
- Multiple stakeholders (e.g., government regulators, service providers, unions, industry, customers),
- Distributed and non-co-located teams,
- High workload and high-profile job functions,
- Common situation awareness in the presence of asymmetric, real time information,
- Outdated legacy systems and organizational and cultural barriers,
- Advanced automation and effective human systems integration.
Services We Offer: Software Engineering
- Integration: Application-to-Application and Business-to-Business
- End-to-End solutions at enterprise and business levels
- Business Intelligence: Spreadsheets, Reporting and querying software, Data mining, Data warehousing, Decision engineering, Business performance management
- Consulting, Blueprint, Implementation, Operation & Maintenance Support
- Streamlining integrated processes to reduce cost
Services We Offer: Product Development
- Multi-Disciplinary Engineering: BioMedical, Computer science, Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing
- Product Design and Development
- Identification of customer needs and product specifications
- Concept generation, evaluation, and testing
- Product architecture and industrial design
- Design for manufacturing
- Computer-Aided/Computer-Manufacturing Design
- Rapid prototyping and evaluation
- Build and fabrications